National S’mores Day is Wednesday, August 10th, and all of us at The Resort at Paws Up are getting excited! There’s nothing like sleeping beneath the stars, listening to the sounds of nature—and calling your butler when you need an extra pillow. At The Resort at Paws Up, there is one dedicated camping butler for each luxury camp. The camping butler does everything from starting a fire and preparing scrumptious s’mores to providing entertainment and assisting with planning and scheduling your daily itineraries. “Ensuring our guests have an experience of a lifetime at the beautiful Resort at Paws Up is the best part of my job,” says Resort Manager Charles Daenen. “I love to get to know the guests while they are here, make a connection and take care of all of their needs,” says Charles. “At full capacity, we go through about three dozen s’mores per evening—fun for the entire family.”
Below are eight tips from Charles on how to make the best s’mores.
1. Use a variety of chocolate, including Hershey’s, Snicker or even KitKat candy bars.
2. Toast two marshmallows over the coals to a crispy, gooey state. Then sandwich them between graham crackers and a piece of chocolate. The heat of the marshmallows will melt the chocolate a bit for the perfect texture.
3. Instead of a coat hanger or s’mores stick, try a double-sided metal waffle-shaped s’mores maker to avoid losing your treat in the fire.
4. Use waffles instead of graham crackers for a softer, gooier s’more.
5. Add salted caramels with your choice of chocolate for turtle-like taste and texture. We like to serve bacon s’mores too.
6. Substitute Oreo cookies for graham crackers.